Kaplan & Grady is accepting applications for a full-time Senior Paralegal to join our team. Here, Senior Paralegals work closely with our attorneys, staff, clients, and vendors, managing a diverse docket of both commercial and civil rights cases, from investigation to trial. Our firm was founded on the principle that all of our clients deserve the highest level of legal representation, and it is important that the members of our team share and demonstrate this belief. Please see below for additional details on this role.
Senior Paralegal responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform work effectively and efficiently, keeping the client’s best interest in mind;
- Assist with court filings and submissions; deposition, trial, and hearing preparation; and discovery tasks at various stages of litigation;
- Maintain and manage electronic databases and hard-copy files;
- Keep current all case calendars and track case deadlines;
- Coordinate with opposing counsel and vendors to facilitate case upkeep and progress;
- Exhibit consistent attention to detail in evaluating others’ and one’s own work;
- Practice good judgment in client and potential-client interactions;
- Exercise effective time management skills;
- Conduct work related to new client intake;
- Operate well in a fast-paced legal environment;
- Demonstrate effective written and verbal communication skills;
- Show persistence in accomplishing a task, even when faced with initial and unforeseen administrative roadblocks;
- Work on a flexible schedule as case and client needs require;
- Express compassion for clients and potential clients affected by various injustices; and
- Have an interest in contributing to the successful establishment of the firm.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred;
- Proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel, Google’s G-Suites, and Adobe Acrobat Pro;
- Proficiency in use of online legal research resources, such as Westlaw and Pacer;
- Proficiency in use of CM/ECF websites to complete electronic filings in federal courts, and ability to navigate state court websites to complete filings in state courts;
- Proficiency in general time entry and time management software;
- Proficiency in use of the Bluebook to review and revise legal citations;
- Excellent analytical thinking skills and organizational techniques;
- Ability to track time-sensitive and long-term tasks, prioritizing workload in the process;
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and ensure appropriate confidentiality;
- Experience completing work in both in-person and remote locations; and
- Willingness to work at in-person office, based in Chicago, when helpful and/or needed.
We are seeking candidates with experience in a legal work environment, who have an interest in helping us further establish our firm as a top-tier litigation boutique. In addition to paralegal duties, the ideal candidate will contribute to efforts related to business development and office management, alongside the firm’s founding Partners.
Salary and Benefits
Compensation, benefits, and incentives will be at the top of the plaintiff-side market. Annual salary will take into consideration all job expectations and any relevant prior experience in the legal field.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Kaplan & Grady values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Therefore, the firm does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, national origin, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, marital status, parental status, disability, culture, or military status. We encourage those coming from historically underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Should you wish to supplement your application, we encourage you to include a brief cover letter describing your interest in joining our firm.
Applications will be reviewed in the order that they are received. This webpage will remain posted until the position is filled.
About the Firm
Kaplan & Grady is a fast-growing litigation boutique with a national practice focused on complex commercial litigation and civil rights cases. The firm was founded by former partners at large, elite law firms. Kaplan & Grady draws on the best of that experience to provide top-tier representation in a setting that permits greater flexibility on fees, personal attention from senior attorneys, and continuous innovation. The firm maintains its high standards through the efforts of its remarkably talented, dedicated, and diverse team of lawyers and staff, who have come to Kaplan & Grady from global firms, boutiques, government service positions, and public interest organizations.